Today, I will begin to explain the Electrical Load Classification and Types, this explanation will be as an introduction for beginners in electrical design to know all types of Electrical Loads and their general characteristics. so, other detailed topics will be posted but in Courses EE-2 "Basic Electrical design course – Level I "and EE-3 "Basic Electrical design course – Level II" for explaining design method and design calculations for each electrical load.
Electrical Load Definition:
the Electrical Load is The part or component in a circuit that converts electricity into light, heat, or mechanical motion. Examples of loads are a light bulb, resistor, or motor.
If an electric circuit has a well-defined output terminal, the circuit connected to this terminal (or its input impedance) is the load.(see fig.1)
Electrical Load Classification and Types:
1- According To Load Nature-1
- Resistive Electrical Loads.
- Capacitive Electrical Loads.
- Inductive Electrical Loads.
- Combination Electrical Loads.
2- According To Load Nature-2
- Linear Electrical Load.
- None-Linear Electrical Load.
3- According To Load Function
- Lighting Load.
- Receptacles / General / Small Appliances Load.
- Power Loads.
4- According To Load Consumer Category
- Residential Electrical Loads (Dwelling Loads).
- Commercial Electrical Loads.
- Industrial Electrical Loads.
- Municipal / Governmental Electrical Loads (Street Lighting, Power Required For Water Supply and Drainage Purposes, Irrigation Loads And Traction Loads).
5- According To Load Grouping
- Individual Loads (Single Load).
- Load Centers (Area Loads).
6- According To Load Planning
- Existing Electrical Loads.
- Future Electrical Loads (Electrical Loads Growth).
- New Electrical Loads (Additional Electrical Loads).
7- According To Load Operation Time
- Continuous Electrical Loads.
- Non-Continuous Electrical Loads.
- Duty, Intermittent Electrical Loads.
- Duty, Periodic Electrical Loads.
- Duty, Short-Time Electrical Loads.
- Duty, Varying Electrical Loads.
8- According To Load Importance
- Vital Electrical Loads (Life Safety Electrical Loads).
- Essential Electrical Loads (Emergency Electrical Loads).
- Non-Essential Electrical Loads (Normal Electrical Loads).
9- According To Load /phase distribution
- Balanced Electrical Loads.
- Non-Balanced Electrical Loads.
- Neutral load.
- Line to neutral load.
10- According to number of Electrical Loads phases
- Single phase Electrical Loads.
- Three phase Electrical Loads.
11- According to actual Electrical Loads value
- Nameplate load.
- Full load.
- Percent of full load.
- No load (Open Circuit).
- Electrical Loads in KVA.
- Electrical Loads in KW.
- Electrical Loads in HP.
13- According to Electrical Loads diversity (simultaneous and non- simultaneous operation)
- Connected Load.
- Demand Load.
14- According To Unity Electrical Load Units
- Unity Electrical Load in VA/M2.
- Unity Electrical Load in VA/Ft2.
- Unity Electrical Load in VA/Linear Foot.
15- According To Electrical Loads Operation Coincidence
- Non-Coincident Electrical Loads.
- Coincident Electrical Loads.
16- According To Electrical Loads Usage Method
- Fixed In Place Loads.
- Portable Loads.
17- According To Method of Load Reduction / Control
- Dimmed Electrical Load.
- Shed Electrical Load.
- Shifted Electrical Load.
In the next Topic, I will explain all these types of Electrical Loads. so, please keep following.